Telling Stories


 
Greetings! So here I am on a Sunday night after a holiday weekend thinking about all the different things I’d like to write about while I simultaneously think about how I really don’t want to write about anything at all. I’m tired, I’m stressed, I’m anxious, and I’ve got a billion different things on my mind making it difficult to focus. I feel like somewhat of a failure because I was supposed to blog last week and totally blew it off because I had a hectic week at work. In doing so, I feel like I let my sisters down. L

I want to write about how our lives are too busy and jam packed (using my own as a prime example). I want to write about some of the sexist things I’ve experienced over the last month. I want to write about finding my voice and speaking up about some of those sexist things. I want to write about how I’m not losing weight just to fit into my wedding dress. I want to write about how I think it’s ridiculous that we still work a 5 day work week. I want to write about all those things and maybe I still will write about them in a later blog. But right now I cannot. I’ve been running around for the last couple of months trying to plan a wedding and trying to define myself in a fairly new position in the military all the while still keeping up with family and friends, Crossfit, volunteering, etc, etc. To write about the aforementioned topics would require too much concentration from me right now and I just don’t have the energy. So instead, I’m going to write about something fairly easy. I’m going to tell you about my weekend. Of course, I can’t make it THAT simple and just tell you what happened in a linear fashion. I’m also going to link it together using the common theme of connecting through our stories.

I believe weekends start on Thursdays. Maybe this stems back from the old college days with Thirsty Thursdays and no classes on Friday! Or maybe it’s because as I mentioned above, I think it’s ridiculous we still work 5 day work weeks. Anyhooo, like all of my weekends, this weekend started on Thursday night. I went straight from a stressful day at work and drove through horrendous traffic to get to one of my girlfriend’s house to have dinner with her. I was scattered when I pulled up to her house with my blood still boiling as I knocked on her front door. She answered the door with her one-year old in her arms and two energetic dogs that couldn’t wait to jump on me. Upon entering her house, she asked how I was and I immediately went into my speal about how busy I was, how badly traffic sucked, how stressful work was, and how I still had stuff left to do before the wedding. She simply replied with, “well, it will all come together,” and then immediately apologized for the basket of laundry that had been sitting in her living room for over a week, for the piles of clutter on the dining room table, for the dog that had just eaten the remote before jumping all over me, and for the potentially botched dinner she had made for us in the crock pot. And all of a sudden, I magically settled down. It was as if she had indirectly said to me, “I get it. You are dealing with a lot right now. ME TOO.” We proceeded to have dinner on a cluttered kitchen table with a somewhat fussy (albeit ADORABLE) one-year old and two bouncing dogs rambunctiously waiting for us to drop a morsel of food on the ground for them. Someone looking in the window at us might think it was a messy scene but in that moment, I was at peace. My work stress, wedding planning anxiety, and traffic struggles seemed to wither away as I CONNECTED with another human being who was inadvertently telling me her story and saying, “ME TOO.”

As a side note, I TOTALLY understand that the “stressors” (wedding planning, work, traffic, etc) I have in my life are absolutely first-world problems. I am extremely fortunate and blessed to be planning a destination wedding with the most amazing future husband in the US Virgin Islands where I will be surrounded by over 70 loving family and friends. I have a job that I absolutely love and have the honor of wearing the US Army uniform every single day. As for traffic, I am fortunate to have a decent car in which to commute and regardless of how bad the traffic is every night, I still come home to a safe, warm house filled with food, hot water, and most importantly love. As my best friend Naomi consistently has to remind me, my “stressors” ARE ALL GOOD THINGS! Speaking of my best friend Naomi….

On Friday night I celebrated Passover with her and her family. I have done this every year for the past 5 years or so and I love it even though I was raised Catholic. There were 14 people in attendance as well as no less than 4 dogs. Even though Naomi had rented out the community room in her condo building, it still resulted in a lot of people and animals in a small space. At multiple times throughout the evening, Naomi and her sisters would conveniently excuse themselves to go back up to Naomi’s condo because something was “forgotten” even though I know that for most of those times, they simply wanted a breather from all of the action (as did I). The Seder dinner preparation probably lasted over two hours. Some of the kids complained that they were bored and others just couldn’t WAIT until the chicken was served! However, complaints or not, we had to finish reading the Passover story from the Haggadah before we could eat. Even though most of the family members present had heard the story every year since they were born, we HAD to finish it in its entirety for yet another year. Finally, we were able to eat, everybody was happy and full, and the cleanup for dessert started immediately as it was getting late. As I waited for dessert, I witnessed my favorite moment of the evening. Naomi’s eldest niece, Rafaella, at 18 years old was lying on the couch with her youngest brother and Naomi’s youngest nephew, Mandella, at about 7/8 years old. I went to sit by them and listened to what they were saying. I could hear Rafaella doing most of the talking and when I asked Rafaella what she was doing, she told me she was telling Mandella a story. Apparently, the break to talk to me was not authorized by Mandella who ordered “Rafi, keep telling the story!” I managed to sneak in another question and discovered that Rafaella was telling Mandella the story of Passover. Upon hearing this, it was like I was hit with an emotional sledge hammer. I found it riveting. We had JUST finished the telling of the Passover story during which Mandella complained a majority of the time because he was hungry or bored. We had JUST finished the telling of the story for yet another year in a row and it hadn’t changed and here Mandella wanted to hear the story again. Maybe it wasn’t the story he wanted to hear though. Maybe it was the closeness he felt as he lay on top of Rafaella listening to her soothing voice. Maybe it was the connection he yearned for by hearing a familiar story from someone who is like a second mother to him. I realized watching those two in that moment that THIS IS WHAT LIFE IS ALL ABOUT: TELLING AND RETELLING OUR STORIES AND USING THEM TO CONNECT WITH ONE ANOTHER.

This brings me to Saturday. Saturday evening Larry and I went to dinner with his parents and his aunt who was visiting from New York. His aunt had never seen our house so they came over a half hour early to our place so that she could get the tour. Our house is small and obviously didn’t take the entire half hour so we had some time to sit on the couch and chat before leaving for dinner. During this time, Larry’s parents did some story telling. One story in particular about when Larry was two years old, I have heard about 10 times since meeting Larry’s parents. After his father told the story for the 11th time, Larry turned to me and asked how many times I had heard that sorry. I told him the truth- that I had heard it over 10 times and his father immediately started to apologize. He affirmed that he would not tell that story again. My heart somewhat sunk. I never want to give somebody the impression that just because I have heard a story before means that I never want to hear it again! No! Quite the opposite! Telling and retelling, even if we are in the double digits for retelling, our stories is what keeps our traditions alive. As I mentioned above, it’s what keeps us CONNECTED. So at multiple points for the rest of the evening I made sure to tell Larry’s father that he must continue to tell that story in the future.

And there you have it folks. It’s a messy blog. It’s kind of all over the place. But hopefully you can glean something out of the mess. Hopefully my sisters enjoy being filled in on my life through these stories. Hopefully our readers can connect with something here. Maybe you are inspired to tell or retell one of your stories… Maybe you are inspired to connect with someone today through a story

No comments:

Featured Post

Meaning-Making

I’m almost 38 years old. Here’s what I’ve learned and experienced about life as I age. The older I get, the more intensely I feel things. ...