Stars in Our Own Worlds

I want to follow through with my commitments, even seemingly "small" ones, so this post serves as a twofold commitment fulfiller (I thought I made this word up...turns out, it's a real word!). 1) I am committed to posting a positive, gracious post for every critical and, perhaps nettling, post I publish. 2) I said after Monday's quiz I would follow up with my own thoughts and reflections on said quiz.

I must begin with a confession-one I'm not proud of but I think serves to highlight a couple thoughts I want to convey. First, I truly do believe, as I stated in my last post, that sharing our thoughts and hearts is one of the most powerful and memorable gifts we can give one another. I include vulnerability and honesty in the powerful gift package.

I am being honest and vulnerable when I admit I hadn't read Molly or Kristen's two most recent posts (I commit to reading each post the day of posting, henceforth!!!) until I had already decided to post the quiz on Monday; I was struck that at least part (if not most) of their messages were in the same vein as what I feel the quiz provokes thought on-what we spend our time, energy, thoughts and resources on and what truly matters in life. There are moments in life when I know I'm really in tune with the universe, moments I know there is a thing worth saying, repeating and being reminded of. The convergence of our posts was one of these moments.

For me, Monday's quiz is a palpable reminder of what really matters, not only in my life, but in all of our lives. Every so often, it is good to check in with ourselves and assess where we are putting our time, energy, thought, love, and yes, even money. Often the questions in this quiz help me recalibrate, if necessary.

Sometimes, when I feel like a square peg trying to fit into a round hole, I remind myself that love-loving others and loving myself-is what truly matters, makes an impact and changes the world. The people who matter in my life will remember and care about my love, the way I treated them, the support I gave them, the time I spent with them and the way I lived my life. I know that is what I remember when looking back over my own life.

Maya Angelou said, "I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." In my experience, the intention behind her quote is true. Sometimes what we say and do contributes to how we make people feel-I don't think she would argue that. To me, her point is the same as what Molly, Kristen's and Monday's quiz all make-what we remember in our lives and relationships, when it's all said and done, is the love, grace, kindness and generosity of spirit within them...not grand proclamations or promotions or financial outlays.

Each one of us can use an assessment, a recalibration, of our priorities and thought patterns every so often. My wish for all of us is that we are a "success" and a star in our own lives, in our own world-the world we touch, the world we love in-whatever that looks like for each of us, despite our larger societies' definitions of of "success".

No comments:

Featured Post

Meaning-Making

I’m almost 38 years old. Here’s what I’ve learned and experienced about life as I age. The older I get, the more intensely I feel things. ...