Showing Up


“We show up for each other. That’s what we do.” This was Beth Shelton’s assertion. Beth is the CEO of Girl Scouts of Greater Iowa, an organization that I am privileged and proud to be part of. These statements were part of her address at the Governor’s Luncheon for Scouting last month. These statements have also been with me ever since.

As part of the Governor’s Luncheon for Scouting, I volunteered to be a table host. The luncheon was free to attend AND there would be an ask for pledges and donations during the presentation and meal. I was surrounded by 10 people who had “shown up” for me…I’m sure they love Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts but the reality was that none of those people would have been there that day, had it not been to support me. I got teary at Beth’s words, realizing I had people in my life who cared about me enough to take time out of their busy days, attend an event they wouldn’t have otherwise attended, and donate money to an organization I care deeply about and believe strongly in.

Like I said, I’ve been thinking about these words since that day and what they mean in my life. I was so grateful and touched by those that had “shown up” for me, I decided I needed to be more intentional about “showing up” for others. There have been times when I’ve been personally invited to an event and felt too tired…or I didn’t have time to look the way I thought I should (there’s that perilous word!)…or didn’t think anyone would really miss me if I didn’t go because there were going to be so many other people there…and for those reasons, I didn’t “show up.”

Since I’ve been more intentional about this, barring a conflict in previously scheduled commitments like work, class, or prior social engagements, I’ve been showing up for people. I may not have been the life of the party, I might have had no makeup, glasses, unkempt hair and possibly a “nice” version of yoga pants on, I might have only been able to stay two hours instead of all night…but I’ve been showing up. And since I’ve been paying attention, it’s become obvious to me that it means a lot to people…whether there are three people or thirty there, it means something.

Aaaaaaannnnddd…to bring it around to the blog…I haven’t had a lot of time in the past two weeks to write. I haven’t had anything I was ready to share, that got me fired up, was something I felt was particularly interesting, or I had the energy to write about…so I thought about just letting it slide. But what my intention of “showing up” has taught me…it’s not about how it looks, it’s not about every foray into society or blogdom being perfect, having the most views, or being the most profound…it’s about showing up.

I wanted to “show up” for the blog…it’s important to me and it’s important to my sisters. I also think it’s essential for me to continue to be mindful of the ways my “all or nothing”, somewhat perfectionist tendencies can sneak into and fuck with my life. By “showing up”, even when circumstances aren’t perfect, I’m letting people know they are important to me and I’m also living a lesson I need (pretty frequent) reminders on.

No comments:

Featured Post

Meaning-Making

I’m almost 38 years old. Here’s what I’ve learned and experienced about life as I age. The older I get, the more intensely I feel things. ...