To Be, or Not to Be...Busy

“We should get together for dinner!”

“Yes, that sounds great!! Let me look at my calendar…Okay, I’ve got Tuesday the 4th free at 7:00, and Thursday the 13th free at 6:30. Do either of those times work for you?”

“Ah, crud. I’ve got stuff going on both of those nights…can we look at the following week- 3 weeks from now?”

(Both parties continue to look at their calendar, attempting to find a mutually work-able date for dinner).



The above exchange is fairly typical between my friends and myself. I don’t think that we are unique in this type of exchange; I’m fairly certain that this type of exchange happens quite often among other individuals. It's a challenge of wanting to find time together when we already have so many other significant commitments.

I posted this article to my Facebook wall last week:


I wanted to write about this topic of “busyness” because I’m quite conflicted about it. Like many other issues, I’m able to see both the benefits and challenges, and I want to reflect on the nuances. Moreover, I would love to hear other people’s thoughts.

Here’s my perspective:

There’s definitely a significant part of me that loves feeling “busy.” I love it because I enjoy feeling active and engaged in my life, and I have learned that I do not flourish with a monotonous lifestyle. For example, the year after I graduated college, I completed a year of AmeriCorps in Indianola, Iowa. While the AmeriCorps experience itself was amazing, I fell into quite a dull routine outside of work. I didn't make much money, I was living in the same small town in which I completed my undergraduate degree, it was a temporary “job” that would only last a year, and it was my first experience of living in the “real world” outside of school. Because of these factors, I lacked a vibrant life. I primarily would go to work, exercise, and then I would spend the rest of the night either reading or watching TV. I mean, I definitely still had friends, but they all lived in Des Moines, so I would see them maaaaybe once a week on the weekend.

Not very exciting, right? I didn't think so either; I started to feel lethargic and depressed with that lifestyle. However, after going to graduate school in Nashville and living in Des Moines for 2 years as a professional adult, my life is much different. I almost hate to say it, but I do feel very “busy” sometimes. This fall, I reached max capacity. I was working full-time for hospice, working PRN for Methodist hospital, and I taught a course for Simpson College (my first one ever, which only added to the workload!). Moreover, I also decided (for reasons that are still beyond me) that this fall would be a wise time to travel all over the United States. I went to Chicago for my sister’s bachelorette party, I traveled to Boston with a group of friends for vacation, and I also visited Nashville with some Simpson students. And in addition to all of this, I kept up my weekly volleyball games, dinner dates with friends, time with my family, and everything else that I’m actively engaged with in my life. I honestly don't think that I had one night at home during September/October.

I write all of this because I’m trying to illustrate that I have had periods of my life where I have leaned toward both extremes; I have had periods of monotony, and I have had periods of chaos.

Before I talk about the obvious “answer” to the extremes (moderation), I want to reflect on both the benefits and challenges to busyness. Sometimes, I really loooove being “busy” because I feel very engaged in my life. For example, I love interacting with multiple groups of friends as each individual/community satisfies different sides of my personality. I love working out in a variety of ways- playing volleyball on a team, going to yoga classes, and running. I love going to cultural events and activities so that I can experience new things in my beloved city of Des Moines. I love trying new restaurants and finding new cuisines. I thrive on the variety of people, experiences, and ideas, and I also believe that they help me grow and flourish.

However. I also am weary of some of the implications of a “busy” lifestyle. First, while I love interacting with a variety of people, I question the degree to which we can fully invest in our relationships if we are continually trying to have varied experiences with so many different people. I also really value empty stretches of time that don’t have anything scheduled. For example, I think it’s important to have empty stretches of time so that we can learn how to spontaneously create. I think it’s important to have empty stretches of time so that we learn how to relax. I think it’s important to have empty stretches of time so that we learn how to spend time with ourselves. I think it’s important to have empty stretches of time so that we can reflect on life in general. I think it’s important to have empty stretches of time so that we can…just exist, and so that we can embrace and feel this existence in all of its simultaneous wonder and possibilities and despair and emptiness and…everything else that is rolled up in life.

And I know several of you are probably sitting here thinking, “Well, obviously, moderation is the answer!”

And yes, I do agree, obviously moderation and balance are certainly key. However, I think it’s REALLY easy to say that moderation is the answer without describing what that looks like. Or taking context into consideration, such as some of the intense demands of modern life. Moreover, I know that for me, “moderation” is an elusive goal that evolves as my life circumstances continue to change.

And so I ask you, my readers- what is your experience of “busyness”? What does “balance” look like for you? What are the benefits and drawbacks to any of these types of lifestyles?

No comments:

Featured Post

Meaning-Making

I’m almost 38 years old. Here’s what I’ve learned and experienced about life as I age. The older I get, the more intensely I feel things. ...