Toot your horn!

 
First of all, our apologies for taking a week off from the blog! I’ll take the blame for it; it was my turn to write after all. In my defense, last week was a crazy week coming off of the holiday weekend. Fourth of July shenanigans coupled with all of my recent trips back and forth to Fort Knox, Kentucky for the summer left me with little time or energy to write. Womp womp. Sad face.
Anywhooooo, I’m back at it this week (obviously!). Last time Jill blogged, she questioned whether or not anyone was actually following and reading our blogs via our Facebook posts. The rest of us sisters collectively agreed that we didn’t care whether or not even one person was reading them because WE sisters sure as hell were reading all of them and that was worth it in itself. We all live such different and sometimes distant (sister Kristen was in Spain this summer and sister Jill just returned from a Disney Cruise) lives and don’t get nearly enough time together to pontificate, rant, and philosophize. We keep in touch as much as we can through group text and email but it’s just nice every week to read a longer version of what is going on in one sister’s life or mind for that particular writing.
Even though we sisters pretty much text or email daily, I’ve been so busy that I don’t think any of them really know why I have been traveling back and forth to Fort Knox. I’m finishing up an assignment in Recruiting and have had to go there to essentially try to recruit ROTC Cadets to join the Army National Guard upon graduating from college and commissioning as a second lieutenant versus joining the Active Army or the Army Reserves. All ROTC Cadets across the Nation attend this month long training at Fort Knox between their junior and senior year so by making multiple trips I was pretty much guaranteed to talk to every single Cadet that had any interest whatsoever in joining the National Guard. Obviously, not ALL of them want to join the Massachusetts National Guard specifically so I haven’t had to actually talk to ALL of the cadets. With one rotation left, I’d say I’ve talked to maybe 125 Cadets. Of course me, being the Feminazi that I am (HAHA! See my last blog post), took mental notes on the number and types of FEMALE cadets with whom I spoke. By the way, I’m being facetious about the Feminazi reference- I didn’t take mental notes just because I wanted something to complain about- I hope that I AM and continue to be a female role model to other females so I want to be aware of and informed about the tendencies and characteristics of the women who are following in my footsteps, those whom I may one day mentor.
Like I said, I have already talked to about 125 Cadets. Out of those 125, I’d say I have talked to MAYBE 20 females. I’m not exactly sure on that number but I’d say its right around 15%. More importantly, out of that 15%, there were only TWO (2!) that were interested in jobs outside of Military Intelligence, Medical Services, and Adjutant General (basically Human Resources). Typically and traditionally, the aforementioned jobs involve more office type work than other jobs in the Army and fewer chances to command large groups of Soldiers. Most of the time (of course I am generalizing here for all my Army friends reading this), Officers in these branches follow a career path to become a Staff Officer rather than a Commanding Officer. A Staff Officer is no less important and is still a leader but as a Commanding Officer one is directly responsible for up to hundreds of Soldiers who fall under the command. In the civilian world, a commanding office would be the equivalent to a CEO.  Anyway, what I sort of deduced from all of this was that none of the females came up to my table with the primary goal of wanting to command someday at the higher levels. I just didn’t get the sense from any of them that they wanted to BE IN CHARGE.
Now, I could be way off base here or just reading into things way too much but either way, the whole situation had me thinking. Why didn’t I get the sense from any of the female cadets that they wanted to BE IN CHARGE? I surely sensed it from some, if not most, of the males. Hell, maybe it’s just me and a jaded view? Maybe it was just the way in which I interacted with the female cadets? But no, I think it has to be more than that. What? I don’t know but I have read several articles since then that have got me thinking even more. Sidebar: this is another great reason for writing this blog even if it is only my sisters who read it- I get to share and reference articles that I enjoy and think are important without always having to email them separately. J  
I thought back to my old days as a Cadet. I myself, never really had much interest in being in charge to tell the truth. What changed since then (because I definitely want to be in charge now), I don’t know. Maybe I had a couple of really good mentors who told me I need to be in charge? Yes, fact. Maybe I witnessed some really good female officers before me? Maybe I witnessed and heard about numerous examples of accomplishments and contributions by female officers?  Well, yes, that’s also true except to a lesser extent because 1) there just aren’t a lot of female officers (we are only 15% of the force) out there in general and 2) here is where my opinion comes in, I don’t think we as females toot our own horns, so to speak, as loudly and as often as we should! We don’t toot them for our OWN achievements often enough and we sure as hell don’t toot them loud enough, if even at all, for OTHER women as often as we should!
Hell, the United States Navy just named its first female four-star admiral last week
 and I barely heard about it. If not for Huff Post Women on Facebook, I don’t think I would have known about it. Furthermore, I failed to promote it myself! I should have been sharing that shit all over Facebook but nary a word from one Molly Alesch! Even one of my former male lieutenants was proud enough to share it! So that’s just one problem- not sharing our own or other women’s accomplishments often enough and loud enough. One of the other problems, I think, is that we use men as the baseline or in other words, we neutralize men’s accomplishments. This article really hits the nail on the head with that point:
The author discusses how during the World Cup, sports commentators kept calling Landon Donovan the “all-time US leading goal scorer” when in fact he is NOT. He is not even in the top five. He is the top MALE US leading goal scorer but Abby Wambach blows him out of the water when it comes to number of goals. Just check out the article. This blog is already too long for me to explain it to you. J
Finally, I think that even when we as females DO try to toot our own horns, we are often not heard because some men are too busy speaking over us and discounting our contributions. We as women need to learn how to and practice telling men to STOP INTERRUPTING US! Check it out:
Of course, I am once again generalizing. There are MANY men in my personal AND work life who will listen to me without interrupting. However, when Urban Dictionary includes the word “Mansplain” in its word list, one can figure out that not enough men listen and respect women’s credentials and contributions.
Anyway, by no means am I criticizing the females for not wanting to be in charge. I understand that not everybody is like me and not everybody wants to or is cut out to be in charge. However, I have to believe that more than two of those females want to be in charge someday and more importantly, have the tools to be in charge and make a difference by doing so. Furthermore, research upon research has shown that organizations perform better if women are part of the leadership. If we want to encourage women to move to the top or be in charge in any of our organizations, military or civilian, I believe we need to cheer each other on- toot your own horn and help other women toot theirs as well. So ladies, start blowing!

No comments:

Featured Post

Meaning-Making

I’m almost 38 years old. Here’s what I’ve learned and experienced about life as I age. The older I get, the more intensely I feel things. ...