Automotive Adventures

It’s my first blog post! I thought it would be difficult to decide what to post about for my first post as there are usually a variety of subjects that I am currently ruminating about. However, I realized that the majority of my blog posts will probably be a reflective commentary on whatever is currently happening in my life. I have a propensity to analyze and reflect deeply on most subjects. This capacity to think, reflect, and feel intensely is both my greatest gift, as well as my Achilles heel. But I already digress.

Note the lack of hubcaps!! #nothingbutclass
The subject of this week’s post? My car. Prior to this weekend, I have driven the same car for the past 7 years.  I originally bought my '03 Kia Spectra when I was a junior in college, and it was only $5,000. This car did not have cruise control. No automatic locks. No power windows. It was a rather simple car, and time and extended usage were not kind to it. I ran it into a central air conditioning unit that left a large dent in the front. A couple of other people ran into my car throughout the years. (One of which was my own sister and co-founder of this blog- Amy Sue Alesch!). Moreover, I racked up a ridiculous number of miles on the car. I drove it for Pizza Hut as a delivery driver while I was in college at Simpson. Then when I moved to Tennessee for divinity school, my mileage increased exponentially when I drove home for visits. Ironically, I was also forced to find a second job delivering pizzas AGAIN in Tennessee when my catalytic converter bit the big one. (Anyone else see the irony in having a job that uses my car in order to pay for expenses associated with my car?) And then the car came back with me when I moved back to Des Moines. Suffice to say, this car has seen many adventures in its lifespan.

There’s definitely a part of me that enjoyed having a crappy car. For one, it was the subject of many good jokes and stories. I cannot tell you how many crazy things I have done as a result of my car’s moody disposition. I once hitched a ride home with a hotel shuttle service because my car would not start, and I could not get a hold of anyone for a ride.  Additionally, one night this past winter, I was startled as a piece of rubber around the windshield randomly flew off into the darkness of the night. And let me not forget how much I loved to joke about my car’s lack of hubcaps.

But one of the deeper subjects that my car has caused me to reflect upon is that of privilege and consumerism. Yes, I know that those two subjects are written about often, but they are the topics that I have primarily thought about in relation to my car.  Up until literally one month ago, I could not afford to have a different car. But this simple fact- that it was completely not feasible for me to upgrade my car- seemed so difficult for some people to grasp. For example, one time when I came back to visit Iowa while I was in graduate school, one of my friends asked, “Ugh. Are you still driving that crappy car? When are you getting a new one?” I was shocked when she asked me this question. The Anne of 4 years ago just laughed it off, but the Anne of today would probably have challenged the assumptions of this question. I was a full-time graduate student that was surviving on my income, and my income alone. I was actually rather proud of this independence. Of course I could not afford a different car!  In what world would this be an intelligent decision, much less possible? 

I also think about how I picked up a second job delivering pizzas when my car broke down one summer in graduate school. My catalytic converter went bust, and it was going to be about $1000 to fix it. I had to put it on my credit card, and my single day job would not be enough to pay it off in addition to paying my regular bills. And so I went back to what I knew- I picked up a second job delivering pizzas for additional income. Here I was- a student pursuing her Master’s degree from Vanderbilt University- and I was working two jobs, one of which was a pizza delivery driver. I actually rather enjoy delivering pizzas, so I didn’t mind that aspect, but I grew tired of explaining to other students why I had become a pizza delivery driver. For many of them, working two jobs, particularly one that was extremely blue collar, was out of their range of relatable experience.

I certainly don’t mean to paint a “woe is me” picture, for I am acutely aware that even owning a car and pursuing higher education are two experiences that are denied to many. But my past experiences with my own car, held in tension with the awareness I just described, created a bit of a moral dilemma for me when my car finally broke down this past week. I knew it was finally time to get a different car. It was going to be $3000 to fix my transmission, which is an exorbitant amount of money to fix a car that was already on life support. And so I went car shopping.

PURPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!
I ended up buying a 2014 Chevrolet Spark; a car that is both affordable, but is also enough of an upgrade to keep me away from the mechanic. Thankfully, because I started a new job in the past month, I can now afford the car payments. (The subject of serendipity will be a blog post for another time). I feel so thrilled to have a car that has amenities such as cruise control, power windows/locks, Bluetooth linking, and remote start. I’m not going to lie; it feels wonderful to be able to utilize these accessories, and I feel excited about having a upgraded car. However, because I’m reflective, there is a part of me that worries about it. I really appreciate virtue ethics and the notion of cultivating habits, and I wonder what sort of person I am encouraging myself to be. What does it mean that I feel thrilled to have the ease of power locks? What does it mean that I feel thrilled every time I look outside and I see the sparkling purple exterior on my purple car? Am I trying to gain too much of my happiness from material goods? Am I going to increase my need for instant gratification because of the ease of some of these accessories?

Moreover, I think about the money I will have to dedicate now toward a car payment. Money that could have been spent on paying off more of my student loans. Money that could have gone towards traveling to visit family/friends. Money that I could have donated for philanthropic causes. Three scenarios that are very significant to my values and my identity. Am I creating my own prison with a car? Or is it something that is simply necessary on some level? I really did need a car- my current job requires me to travel to community meetings, client houses, as well as travel between our two offices locations. I honestly could not hold this position and fulfill its obligations with a bike or public transit. So I did need a car for my current job, a job that I feel is very meaningful and worthwhile in its own right. 

I’m not sure that I am heading toward any conclusion with this post, and I am fine with that. I simply want to point out the way that I have experienced both privilege and a lack-thereof in association with my own automotive adventures. And my philosophical meanderings do keep my head extraordinarily busy, but I enjoy the internal commentary. And I enjoy sharing it with you all! I would love to hear comments from you. What are your experiences with cars? Funny stories? Do you like your car? Do you have a car? What factors do you consider when you buy something new? How do we address consumerism while acknowledging the realities of its pervasiveness?

No comments:

Featured Post

Meaning-Making

I’m almost 38 years old. Here’s what I’ve learned and experienced about life as I age. The older I get, the more intensely I feel things. ...